I found an electrician! I know, I couldn't believe it either!
After months of trying to contact and arrange for an electrician to check out our house I was able to find one through Tradesmen.ie.
I can't recommend enough that site - they were polite and prompt when I needed help, and I received a quote from one electrician within a couple of days! Yes, they do promise four quotes and I only got one, but I attribute that to the rare unicorn that is an Irish electrician.
So here are the pros and cons of the electrician I hired:
- They were competent and willing to work around the renovation jobs we had already completed in the house.
- They were pretty accommodating, and never impatient even when I was. When I called or emailed they answered pretty soon.
Also the electrician working on the site was always kind.
- They gave me an honest price for the rewiring of the entire house and edited the final balance as I requested, without any complaints.
- The rewiring started 2 days after the agreed date, and I had to contact them a couple of times to understand what was going on.
- The invoice issuing / editing wasn't very smooth: they gave me an invoice for a different job, no break down of the individual costs and I had to ask a couple of times to deduct costs for works that were not done.
- They didn't run the alarm system before some of the renovation jobs were finished - which means we'll have to redo them.
- They weren't always careful with my furniture - using my kitchen chairs (covered in soft cotton) to reach the ceiling, and hence dirtying them with mud and dust.
- They *didn't* submit the work done to HRI because they couldn't register in time... even though they assured us they'd be able to.
- We're still waiting for the signed copy of the RECI certificate they issued.